Wise Water Use in Kitchen - Laundry
Wise Water Use in the Kitchen and Laundry
More than 10% of all water used in the home is used in the washing machine. An automatic clothes washer, at full cycle and highest water level, uses 30-35 gallons of water. The dishwasher is also a potential heavy user, requiring 25 gallons for a full cycle. Dishwashing with the tap running takes five gallons per minute – approximately 30 gallons per average washing.
Here are some tips for saving water in your kitchen and laundry:
- Instead of running water continuously, fill wash and rinse basins with water.
- Run only full loads in the dishwasher. Avoid using the extra cycle.
- Chill drinking water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap.
- Use your garbage disposal sparingly, using a garbage can for most kitchen waste.
- Wash only full loads of clothes on the short cycle in your washing machine.
- Check faucets and hose connections for leaks. Repair or replace whenever necessary.