Drought Management Plan
Ten Ways to Avoid Water Waste
- Do not over-water plants and lawns.
Avoid water runoff into streets and gutters.
- For best results, try morning watering.
Evaporation loss is at a minimum.
- Avoid washing down paved areas.
Sweep driveway and sidewalks in garden cleanup.
- When washing the car...
Use a bucket of water. Use the hose only to rinse.
- Repair faucet leaks.
As much as 15 gallons of water can be lost each day with a slow drip.
- Avoid toilet water waste.
Do not use toilet as a trash disposal.
- Don't fall asleep in the shower.
An extra five minutes in the shower could mean another 50 gallons down the drain. Use a moderate stream.
- The automatic dishwasher – use it wisely.
Half loads cheat you out of full water use.
- Watch those laundry loads, too.
Some 50 gallons of water are used to wash a load of clothes. Make every load count.
- Avoid the running faucet.
Don't run water continuously while shaving, brushing teeth, peeling vegetables, or washing dishes.